Farewell 2016 December 31 2016
I can’t believe it’s already the end of 2016! What a whirlwind this year was! You know how some years are brilliant, some terrible and some unremarkable? Well, for me this year was high speed, full action, go go go from day one. And I’m exhausted. On the whole it’s been a wonderful year, so many lovely things have happened and beautiful memories have been made but it has definitely pushed me to the edge of burnout so I’m taking some time over the New Year break to reflect on what was wonderful about 2016 and what I want to improve on for 2017.
First up are my favourite memories of 2016 and as I’m writing this from a balcony overlooking the sea where I’m taking a few days peaceful rest with family I feel like I’m living one of them right now! Tomorrow and next week I’ll start planning my vision board for 2017 and setting my goals for the year and I’ll write about those in a separate post. Because for now, today is all about resting, reflecting and ringing in the New Year tonight!
16 best memories of 2016
1. Stand-up paddle boarding with dolphins one early morning while having a weekend away up the coast
2. Visiting some of the lovely boutiques which stock Amelia Lane Paper products and receiving some amazing press including a feature in the Huffington Post (still so surreal!)
3. Too many to count before work swims at the beach - starting the day right with sunshine, salt water and sea air
4. This year I resumed something I have previously done while I was living in London which is fostering rescue animals. My partner and I signed up with the RSPCA and fostered our first litter of puppies and their mum. Fostering appealed to us as they are generally short term placements designed to give shelter animals some respite from the kennels, time out to heal from an operation or, in our case, time for puppies or kittens to finish weaning from their mothers and a chance to grow a little bit bigger before they go back to get adopted to their permanent families. We were so excited to receive our first littler this year of a mum and four male long-haired Chihuahua puppies. They had all been rescued from a horrible puppy mill and needed to grow a bit before they could get adopted. We felt comfortable that we wouldn’t get too attached as we’re sensible enough to know that five dogs is too many for us and we both have never been the biggest fans of Chihuahuas as a breed so it seemed a great first foster group. And we loved having Maddy and her four pups staying with us and causing havoc before they found loving families so it was definitely a highlight of the year. And it led to…
5. Adopting our foster failure Archer. Unsurprisingly, we grew increasingly attached to the foster puppies and one ‘failed’ - well, we failed with giving him back and now he’s our forever dog and the sweetest, happiest puppy alive :)
6. Launching the Amelia Lane Life Designer and Wedding Designer in the UK. There’s been so much great feedback to our products over there and I’m so excited to add a lot more products to our UK shop later in 2017
7. Dancing bollywood-style in Nepal at my best friend’s wedding and seeing her shine with happiness
8. Visiting the Tu Sua Ocean Trench in Samoa (and Samoa in general!) - one of the most stunning natural places I’ve been to
9. Having a glass of wine and a whole lot of laughs taking a pizza-making class on a rainy Sunday
10. Attending five beautiful weddings and feeling surrounded by all the love
11. Visiting a trade show in New York with my mum (who lives in the UK so extra special for having time away with her) and making big plans for Amelia Lane Paper’s USA launch in 2017
12. Launching a new line of products including the Compact edition of the Life Designer, the Monthly Planners and the Wedding Designers, and reading so many lovely customer messages, emails, comments and feedback!
13. Working my way through the Couch to 5km running program - as someone who has never been a runner this was pretty exciting for me!
14. Quiet morning walks with Archie before the world wakes up and seeing how joyful he is everyday
15. Interesting conversation, good food and wine with friends in my monthly book club (and all the long hours curled up on the coach reading something engrossing)
16. Spending this New Years Eve break with family, resting, swimming, having fish and chips on the beach, playing board games and making exciting plans for 2017!
Front of House: Before and After October 17 2016
A few weeks ago I was asked to talk about my experience renovating the front of my house for Reno Addict - a great blog for people like me who love seeing house before and afters and are a bit real estate obsessed! It's a sister site to the equally inspiring Interiors Addict. You can read the full article here but below are some photos showing the brown, black and beige colour scheme which was there when I bought the house, and the blue/grey and white look I ended up going for.
Some of the biggest changes were to the front and back courtyards all done on a tiny budget using Ikea, Bunnings and Flower Power, along with some free family and friends labour carrying the pots inside and a van rented from GoGet. There is still lots to do (such as the whole inside!) but at least now I feel like it's a bit brighter and happier when arriving home - and the bright lime green door certainly helps!
I would love to hear of any inspiring house renos you've seen or read or any recommended sites to visit!
Hello + Welcome! September 28 2016
It's so lovely to 'meet' you!
I'm Chanel - the owner of Amelia Lane Paper. Why Amelia Lane Paper and not Chanel Paper you ask (because everyone does!)? Well, there were pretty big issues with using 'Chanel' in my brand name with the rather well-established fashion house taking over all of Google's search results.
And why Amelia Lane? This is another super common question and understandably so. Let me just preface this with saying had I really thought through how often I'd be asked these two questions as I was brain-storming business names I probably would have come up with a slightly less embarrassing name...! But I named my company Amelia Lane after my favourite doll when I was a little girl.
Yep, a doll. We'll chalk that one up to lessons learned!
I live in Sydney, Australia but have spent a few months here and there living in Paris, Florence, Seoul and New York followed by a whopping nine years in London. Australia is definitely where my heart is though and I think our combination of sunshine and beaches is pretty hard to beat.
You can find out more about me and why I started Amelia Lane Paper here, but I hope you'll follow along the blog for sneak peeks of future product launches, behind the scenes designing, some interviews with hugely inspiring women and a little bit of everything else that makes life wonderful - family, travel and food!
p.s. the photo is from a Q+A I did over on the lovely Polly Finds Beautiful Things blog - you can check it out here!